A Journey of One Thousand and One Days
The Gurmat Sangeet Outreach course is designed as a three-year programme.
The first year focuses on establishing a comprehensive understanding of all the essential musical notes used in the singing of Kirtan. Development of a student's listening skills, vocal training and instrumental practice is integrated into the curriculum from the first day. Additional key components of learning include
- Basics of rhythm played on Tabla or Jori percussion instruments
- Correct pronunciation of verses from Gurbani
- Terminology for the musical notes used to compose any particular raag.
The second year focuses on a student’s progress from beginner to intermediate level. Listening skills, vocal training and instrumental practice continue to develop. New musical concepts such as meend and gamak are introduced, advancing the understanding of music and Kirtan to a deeper level. In addition, the second year emphasises
- Musicology in Kirtan - exploring the understanding of the emotions in a particular raag
- Composition in music - an opportunity to begin exercising individual creative potential
- Key performance skills for sharing Kirtan with other people within a congregation.
The third year elevates the student's knowledge and understanding of Kirtan to an expert level. There is recognition and appreciation of the intricacies of music as a means of communicating the message of Gurbani in Kirtan. Furthermore, students develop
- Understanding of the practical purpose of each studied raag
- Application of the musicology in everyday life to enhance and uplift consciousness
- The skills to create new musical compositions inspired by their own life experiences
- Depth of understanding of musical ornamentation and arrangement as part of performance aesthetics.
The end of the third year completes the student's sacred journey of 1001 days.
Begin your journey with a single step.
Register for Gurmat Sangeet Outreach.